Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Movies - #1584 - Tokyo Story

What's the you say? Time for an artsy foreign film? Okay, how about Tokyo Story (1953).



It's been a while since my last movie related post. Mostly because it took me a while to get through this movie. It's very slow, which I sometimes like, but in this case it just felt like very little was happening. A great deal was meant to be happening under the surface, but some of the actors grated on me.

Interestingly, I had some similar issues with the last movie I saw by this director (Yasujiro Ozu).

Basically, it's the story of an old couple who go to Tokyo to visit their kids. and there kids are dicks. Basically that's what it all boils down to: those kids are dicks.

Example:

Daughter's husband: Your parents are visiting, so I bought them some little cakes as a present.

Daughter: What?! You shouldn't have done that. I don't want them to have those. You should have just gotten them crackers.

What a bitch.

Then the old lady dies, and the kids seem remorseful. For about 30 seconds. Then they become dicks again.

I can't quite decide if the idea the movie was going for was "value your family" or "life is disappointing". Either way, the kids being such dicks feeds into it pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment