Monday, March 8, 2010

To: The Internet. In RE: Movies.

Hello Internet,
Let me tell you a little about myself.

My name is Tim. I was born and raised in Newton, Massachusetts, but now I live in Los Angeles. Why the big move, you ask? Good question. Like the walking talking cliche that I am, I came out to Hollywood to act. Yes, that's right, I'm going to make it big in the talking pictures. However, for the time being, like the walking talking cliche that I am, I'm paying the bills by waiting tables.

Film has always fascinated me. Yes, it is a wonderful source of entertainment. And i love it for that. But the capacity is there as well for true art. To share ideas, expand minds, and create objects of immense beauty. The thought of being a part of that creation excites me more than anything else. So, I've decided to pursue this insane and difficult career path.

But, being the enormous film buff that I am, I see it as a necessity that I see as many movies as I can. That I take the time to learn my art form inside and out.

Once, on a day when I had way too much free time, I sat down and made a list of all the movies I had ever seen. I won't go into the details of how I figured it all out, but I assure you it was very scientific. ...Or whatever. The point being, I've come up with a number that is, to the best of my knowledge, the number of movies I have seen in my entire life. That number is 1580. If you're curious, number 1580 was Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. I haven't the faintest idea what number 1 was. Probably a kids movie. ...Or maybe Big trouble in Little China. I used to watch that a lot as a little kid. Which could explain a few things about what I'm like as an adult.

But I digress. 1580 is not enough. According to a statistic I've just now looked up using Google (the lazy version of doing research) 208,555,6628 movies have been made in the entire history of film. I'm not sure how reliable that figure is, given that the commas are in the wrong places, but let's assume it's roughly accurate and say that there are 2,085,556,628 movies in existence. I'm really behind. 1580 is nothing, man.

So, here's what I'm going to do. Acknowledging the absolute impossibility of my ever seeing that many movies, I'm going to settle for just seeing as many as I can. I'm hereby resolving to watch new movies as frequently as I can (ideally once a day). I will then report back to you (you currently being an empty electronic void, but later hopefully being readers). I'll post reviews observations, thoughts, musings... you get the idea. Whatever happens to fall out of my brain while I'm typing. I'll also probably throw in stuff about new TV, video games, music, etc. that I happen to experience. And for the record, by "new", I mean new to me, not the world. I'm going to watch old stuff too.

So step right up and join in as I fill the holes in my movie knowledge. And feel free to recommend things. I'm always looking for more.



Sincerely,

Tim




Incidentally, here's where I got that figure from: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_movies_have_been_made

No comments:

Post a Comment